RIVERLIFE VISION AND MISSION
Jesus commanded us to “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.” – Matthew 28:19-20 (ESV). God is glorified as more disciples are made, as more people do God’s will and purpose on earth. (Matthew 6:10). Our church exists to obey this commandment.
OUR VISION: GLORIFY GOD BY HELPING PEOPLE FULFILL GOD’S PURPOSE OF LOVING GOD, LOVING PEOPLE AND IMPACTING THE WORLD WITH THE GOSPEL.
- GO AND MAKE CHRIST KNOWN
- LIVE IN LOVING COMMUNITY WITH OTHER CHRIST FOLLOWERS
- KNOW AND OBEY CHRIST AND HELP OTHERS DO SO
- SERVE CHRIST BY SERVING OTHERS
GO AND MAKE CHRIST KNOWN (EVANGELISM & WITNESS)
People can only fulfill God’s purpose if they are a Child of God (Christ must be their Lord and Savior)
All who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God. – Romans 8:14
I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes. – Romans 1:16
(Personal Witness, Church Events, Community Outreach, Local and World Missions)
LIVE IN LOVING COMMUNITY WITH OTHER CHRIST FOLLOWERS (FELLOWSHIP & WORSHIP)
People can only fulfill God’s purpose if they experienced the Love of God
But we have all been baptized into one body (the Church) by one Spirit, and we all share the same Spirit.
– 1 Corinthians 12:13
Your love for one another (within the Church) will prove to the world (others) that you are my disciples. – John 13:35
(In-Person and Online Meet-Ups, Counseling, Fellowship Meals, Sports Events, Sunday Worship and LifeGroups)
KNOW AND OBEY CHRIST AND HELP OTHERS DO SO (DISCIPLESHIP & TEACHING & PREACHING)
People can only fulfill God’s purpose if they know and obey the Word of God
You are truly my disciples if you remain faithful to my teachings. – John 8:31
Teach these truths to other trustworthy people who will be able to pass them on to others. – 2 Timothy 2:2
(Personal Devotions, 1:1 Discipleship, LifeGroups, Sunday Worship, Prayer Meetings, Ministry Meetings, Camp, Preaching/Teaching)
SERVE CHRIST BY SERVING OTHERS (MINISTRY & SERVICE)
People can only fulfill God’s purpose if they understand the Heart and Mind of God
Whoever wants to be first among you must become your slave. For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve others and to give his life as a ransom for many. – Matthew 20:27-28
(Personal and Church Ministries, Ministry Teams, Outreach, LifeGroups)
What are important to us as we do ministry?
- WE ARE GOSPEL CENTERED
- We believe the gospel is Jesus himself and what he has done, it is through faith in him alone people are saved. (1 Cor. 15:1-4, Eph. 2:8-9)
- We believe whenever we share the gospel it must always be in grace/love and in truth. (Romans 1:16, John 1:14)
- We resolve to make Jesus Christ and His glory the center of everything we do (i.e. the message, our activities). (1 Corinthians 2:2)
- We resolve to know the gospel by heart and courageously making it known to others. (1 Corinthians 2:2, Philippians 3:10)
- WE DO WHAT IS WISE BEFORE GOD’S EYES (HOLINESS)
- We believe Christ is the head of the church, He is the leader of our church, we follow His lead. (Ephesians 5:23)
- We always ask “Is what I’m about to do right before God’s eyes?” or “Is this idea founded on the truth, God’s Word?” (Ephesians 5:15)
- We not allow any anything that dishonors the name of Christ or anything sets itself against the knowledge of God. (2 Corinthians 10:5)
- WE ACT COURAGEOUSLY
- We believe that great faith takes great courage (courage means doing something in spite of fear). (Hebrews 11:6, Joshua 1:9)
- We will not be hindered by fear, tradition, “we’ve always done it this way” kind of thinking or man’s opinion in following Christ’s lead.
- We made it our choice to courageously follow where God leads us even if it means changing our direction, even if its uncomfortable.
- WE TEACH GOD’S WORD FOR LIFE CHANGE
- We teach God’s Word with life change as the end goal, until the character of Christ is formed in us. (Galatians 4:19)
- We resolve to teach God’s Word in every teaching opportunity (Sermon, Bible Studies, Art, Venue, Music).
- We don’t measure growth by Bible knowledge, ministry experience or education, but by conformity to Christ’s character. (Matthew 7:24)
- We resolve to teach the way Jesus and the Apostles taught – to proclaim the whole counsel of God. (Acts 20:27)
- WE WILL NOT SIMPLY TEACH, BUT TEACH TO OBEY
- We believe obedience to God’s Word starts with our mind and heart, we agree with God on what is the truth. (2 Corinthians 10:5)
- We read and study God’s Word with the desire and intention to accept and obey what we learn.
- We teach with application in mind by providing practical steps in obeying God’s commands.
- We believe in effectively teaching God’s Word we need to be a living Bible ourselves for others to see (1 Corinthians 11:1)
(Modeling, demonstrating, being an example of what it means to follow Christ – so that people can imitate our lives as we imitate Christ).
- WE TEACH GOD’S WORD CLEARLY FOR UNDERSTANDING
- We will teach so that God’s Word will be understood (not to simply demonstrate human wisdom and eloquence). (1 Corinthians 2:1-5)
- We teach where big words and ideas are explained clearly, where complicated things are made easy to understand. (Colossians 4:4)
- We will provide resources and opportunities for people of all ages to know and understand God’s Word in a deeper way.
- We believe learning is more effective when our emotions and more of our senses are involved (Mark 6:7)
(Workshops, Practical Assignments, Stories, Parables, Examples, Visuals, Word Pictures, Printed Materials and Media)
- WE ARE CONNECTED THROUGH AUTHENTIC RELATIONSHIPS (FELLOWSHIP)
- We believe the core of our life and ministry is our relationship with God and with one another. (1 John 1:3)
- We believe church life is more than Sunday gatherings, it is the community of believers doing life together like family. ( 2:19)
- We will do our best to protect our unity by rejecting anything that can harm our relationship with one another. (Ephesians 4:32)
(i.e. unkindness, gossip, pre-judging, backbiting, factions, holding grudges, un-forgiveness and the like)
- We are friends with one another, anyone who joins our church should not be a stranger. (John 15:15)
- WE FELLOWSHIP TO GET TO KNOW AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER (GATHERINGS)
- We spend time with one another through praying, encouraging and serving one another, living the One Another Life
- We intentionally create settings where we can connect with each other (LifeGroups, fellowship meals, events, sports).
- We have a culture where we can be ourselves, we don’t have to make a good impression to be accepted.
- We welcome everyone, whatever his or her background may be and we go out of our way to connect and build relationships. ( 11:19)
- LOST PEOPLE MATTER TO GOD AND TO US (WITNESS)
- We will be like Christ (a friend of sinners) who will go after the one lost sheep, the one lost coin and the lost son. (Luke 15)
- We believe the church is a hospital and we know no one is perfect, we welcome everyone who wants to know Christ. (Matthew 11:28)
(They can come as they are, no need to fix their life before coming to church)
- We will invite people to our gatherings and welcome them with all our heart (our guests are our visitors).
- We will intentionally build relationships with the lost (friends or family) by connecting with people where they are (i.e. office, school).
(Lost people are people who does not know Christ, who are not saved, who have not heard and believed the gospel, who does not have a relationship with God, who are separated from God, who are in trouble and in need of salvation)
- WE MAKE DISCIPLES AND TRAIN PEOPLE TO MINISTER
- We have a culture where each person is being brought up in faith, being taught everything Christ commanded (no one on the sidelines).
- We are passionate about seeing people being equipped and empowered to use their gifts to serve God and others (Ephesians 4:7-11).
- We are connected with a LifeGroup where we are being equipped to follow and serve Christ and to serve and disciple others. (2 Tim. 2:2)
- We are called to equip each person to be a minister for Christ. (Ephesians 4:11-12)
(Each of us are ministers to the people we connect with, each of us are missionaries to the community where God has planted us).
- WE GENEROUSLY GIVE OUR TIME, TALENT AND TREASURE
- We believe God blesses us in order that we can be a blessing to others (Genesis 12:2).
- We believe in tithing and we teach, communicate and live-out tithing and giving (Tithing: giving a tenth back to God).
- We will serve in a church ministry team by giving our time and talent (LifeGroups, Fellowship, Childrens, Music).
- We generously support our church – we will support what we believe is God’s work.
- WE ARE KINGDOM MINDED
- We will plant new churches and partner with church planting churches and ministries to multiply our effectiveness.
- We will not only be about us, but growing God’s kingdom locally and around the world.
- We will be an encouragement to other Christians who do not belong to our local church.
- We believe each follower of Christ, each believer, is a minister and a missionary.
(We are a ministers to the people we connect with and a missionary to the community where God has planted us).
- WE ADD VALUE TO THE COMMUNITY
- We believe we can positively transform the community we live in.
- We believe our community can be more hope-filled because of our presence (we the salt of the earth, Matthew 5:13).
- We believe God has called us to serve our community so that Christ may be seen in our actions and lives
- WE PRAISE GOD THROUGH MUSIC
- We praise God through music in our gatherings – to worship God and encourage one another (Sunday and our LifeGroups).
- We praise God with music that is faithful to the Word of God, that honors God and that people are able to sing with all their heart.
- We will sing and praise God from our hearts, in spirit and in truth (we are truthful in what we are singing before God)
- WE ARE ATTRACTIVE
- We are attractive in a God glorifying way, people were attracted to Christ and His message through our lives.
- We study, practice and prepare to be excellent in what we do (our music, events, presentations must be attractive)
- We will maximize the use our creativity, ability, talents, skills and technology in doing what God wants us to do.
- Our resources, facilities, materials, gatherings are attractive to adults and kids alike and are founded on the truth.
- WE WILL USE TIME WISELY
- We will value time – we will start and finish on time (We will value the time of other people).
- We will make the most of every opportunity for God’s glory and wisely use our time. (Ephesians 5:16)